Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Be a donor!

Thirty is rearing it's ugly head whether I want it too or not! A couple of weeks ago I went to the DMV and had a new photo taken. I had to have my eye exam done anyways...and I felt like a new photo was this weird right of passage for me. I have a few strange rituals. This time while I was there I decided to become an organ donor.

I got my new license in the mail today (uughh!... the date of DOOM looms closer) and saw that they put this cute little heart on the front of the ID.  My thought behind is simple... I won't need my body anymore so why not let it do some good for someone else. I decided to look up some information. Here ya go!

http://www.health.state.ny.us/professionals/patients/donation/organ/

Every year, more than 1,500 people receive kidneys, livers, and hearts that have been donated for transplantation. However, with more than 8,000 New Yorkers still on waiting lists, the need for organ donations far exceeds the supply. One person who donates organs (hearts, lungs, liver, kidneys, pancreas and intestines) can save up to eight lives, while a tissue donor (corneas, bone, skin, heart valves, tendons, veins, etc.) can improve 12 or more lives by restoring eyesight, helping fight infections in burn patients and preventing the loss of mobility and disability.

http://www.health.state.ny.us/professionals/patients/donation/organ/frequently_asked_questions.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment